Bread. Butter. Cheese. All delicious. Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich?
But I’m going to one-up this traditional sandwich. Fancy open faced grilled cheese sandwiches.
Here’s a recipe for my grown up grilled cheese sandwich. If you read the last post, you know that I made these treats for my Super Bowl party. It’s such a great food to have at a party because you can make it in bulk, and it won’t break the bank account! For under $20, you can easily feed 10 people with gourmet grilled cheese.
Ingredients: butter, bread, American cheese, onions, tomato, arugula, and a fried egg.
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
2. Let’s prepare the bread. Melt butter and spread it onto both sides of the bread with a brush. Then pan fry the bread on both sides. Once golden, place the bread onto a baking sheet.
3. Add two slices of cheese onto the bread. Yes, I said two. Super cheesy!
4. Now the veggies. Caramelize the onions (cook them in olive oil until browned), then add sliced tomatoes on top.
5. Place the baking pan into the oven and bake for 3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
6. While it’s baking, fry an egg. I like my eggs runny and over easy.
7. Take the bread out, add the arugula, and finally add the egg.
Serve this baby up, and eat the deliciousness.
Crispy, buttery bread is always satisfying. The caramelized onions add sweetness. The tomatoes give it some tartness. The arugula is peppery, and the egg is the perfect topping.
What do you think about this recipe? Is thing something you can create? What are some of your favorite grilled cheese recipes?
Are you hungry yet?