It’s the Friday before Good Friday! Are you prepping for Easter yet?
In my household, we’re not big on Easter candy or baskets. If we’re going to use up calories on candy, let’s go ahead and go all out with dessert. Cookies. Cake. Pie. Now I’m down for that!
After dinner, I was craving something sweet but like I said, no candy. I just want dessert. I looked around my pantry and fridge to see what was going bad. I came across these things – super ripe strawberries, almost expiring heavy whipping cream, and graham crackers from when we went camping. Hmmm, I like the combination of ingredients.
This resulted in a simple strawberry crumble pie! It takes 20 minutes to make and 1 hour to freeze and will result in an ear-to-ear smile!
Simple Strawberry Crumble Pie
- 1 pack of strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Whip cream (Can be purchased, but I make my own whip cream by simply whisking heavy cream until it forms peaks)
- 1.5 cups finely ground graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Brown sugar
1. Combine the lemon juice, sugar, and sliced strawberries. Place into the fridge while you work on the other ingredients. This helps soften the strawberries and adds sweetness.
2. Combine the melted butter with the graham crackers. Press 1 cup of the graham cracker mixture onto the bottom of a baking pan. Put the other half cup into another baking pan, spread evenly, as this will be used to top the pie. Bake at 375° F for 7 minutes. Then let it cool.
3. Spread whip cream onto the graham cracker crust, then layer on the sliced strawberries. Finally, sprinkle on the remaining graham cracker crumbles. To top it off, sprinkle a bit of brown sugar.
4. Freeze for 1 hour before serving.
Macerate the fruit so that it’s juicy and sweet
It may not be the prettiest slice of pie, but it sure is delicious! It’s a nice treat for a warm day. Or a nice treat when all you want is dessert!
Is this something you can recreate? What are some good strawberry dessert recipes you love?
Have a great weekend!